The S is for Simple and the 4 is for the 4 generation of SAP ERP: R/2, R/3, ERP, and S4HANA.
S4HANA is the successor of SAP Business Suite, built on SAP’s HANA platform. It comes with re-written code (no materialized aggregates) to leverage SAP HANA transactional and real-time analytical capabilities, delivered through a simplified and enhanced end-user interface based on SAP Fiori, available in the cloud and on premise.
Existing customers will not get SAP S/4HANA licenses included in the maintenance of their SAP Business Suite, but existing SAP Business Suite for SAP HANA customers are covered.
Simplicity delivered with S4HANA:
-SAP S/4HANA projects will be faster and cheaper
- Based on cloud-first approach
- HTAP (Hybrid Transactional & Analytical Processing) HDB supports both OLTP and OLAP without data replication
- HANA multi-tenancy – in the cloud or on premise
- No unnecessary indices, no aggregates – replaced by on-the-fly calculations, thanks to an in-memory database
- User interface is Fiori based
- Maintains ERP core data models
- Reduced database size – highly compressed data, less tables
- Higher table throughput – fewer table updates, less locking, faster processing
- More Flexible – complexity is reduced as indices and aggregates are removed
SAP’s new cloud-based business models are disrupting the enterprise-software industry – watch this space.